Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hittin the Road!!!!

Wow...is this day finally here? Suitcases packed around us, staff coming to tell us good bye...some great and wonderful people have been brought into our lives. I have made some long term friends here both staff, patients and families, that I am sure God will utilize in the future. As I sit here writing my blog, our two favorite techs are getting him bathed and dressed....we are all screaming in laughter....they are absolutely killing me. They were with us the day we went to surgery, and are with us on the day we are leaving. How cool.

We did have a bit of a scare yesterday with his hand. It got somewhat over manipulated during therapy, so it was twice its normal size and bruising. Not really uncommon stuff for as tight as his hand has been, but we were afraid it was broken. Luckily, many were praying and it turned out to have some torn ligaments. Stabilizing it to give it a rest for a while.

Sunday Tim was asked to be the speaker at the chapel service for the hospital. He donned red plaid pajama pants, a Superman ball cap, and a black tshirt that said "Rep the King!" Gospel singers, "Floetry" speaker and Tim led the worship for over an hour, where we were surrounded by patients, volunteers, staff and family of about 50 people that prayed and worshipped together. Some of the patients with airways attached to ventilators, some pushing their own chairs.....everyone who was able stood to applaud Tim after his message on freedom....the beginning of new life. It was 24 years to the day of the day he became paralyzed.

We got a pass to leave that evening and went to Benihana's Japanese Steakhouse for dinner...a much needed evening out to say the least...lol. I never imagined Tim going to a nice restraunt in jammies and a ballcap, but is certainly one to put in the memory banks.

We are so glad to be headed home. We also know there are some struggles ahead. Driving will be an issue and it will still be many weeks before he can tolerate being up for extended periods like he is accustomed to. Gotta put some weight back on him....wish I had that problem! Please continue to lift us up as we tread on ground we have never had to go before. We are so thankful for the support you have all given us. I will continue the blog and updates every few days. He is up in his chair about 4 hours at a time...sometimes once a day, sometimes twice a day, depending on how well his skin looks after the first time.


  1. So glad ya'll are headed home! ~Ansley

  2. We are still praying for you and tell Tim we miss the sunshine he brings to our office!!!