Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Boot Straps

A few weeks ago...before all of this got so bad, Tim asked me one night as we were talking about the cool "80's" what brand of tennis shoes I wore. I think it was a question on one of those facebook quizzes or something. Kaepa's, Reebok's, Chuck Taylors...I just laughed as I thought about it. I told him I didn't wear tennis shoes in high school...I wore boots every day. Justin Ropers to be exact....the ONLY real boots. The other night, after an absolutely crazy amazing 6pm worship service, and date night with the kids before I headed to Atlanta again for a few days, I realized that while everyone was holding me, loving me, lifting me up at church that night that when anyone would ask how I was doing, I would tell them without even thinking about it, that I was pulling up my bootstraps and walkin through. That night as I laid in bed it hit me....
...boots are awesome. Tennis shoes keep coming untied, the water seeps through them in the rain and you cannot wear them if they get all muddy. They have to be replaced often cause they don't look good anymore. Boots last forever. They are durable, they can trudge though any terrain and provide protection from the thorns, snakes, mud. The more you wear them the more comfortable they are. Their character comes with age. It suddenly occurred to me why I was subconsciously saying that. My God is protecting me, keeping me safe as I travel, blessing me with the embrace of great friends and family, providing for us while we go through this.

It's been a good few days in Atlanta. We have actually just rested a lot and that is something we both needed. Incision looks great...I think on Friday they will take the staples out. If it does okay then the stretching will begin slowly. He still has one of the drains in, antibiotics through the central line...and we were very excited (and proud of him) that he has gained about 10 pounds back! Yes, some of that might be fluid, but he is definitely eating well and steadily throughout the day...and we make him drink Ensure....which is hysterical...

I head back home tonight. This will be a hard stretch for us because I am working more. I will bring Landon up on Valentines Day, then will come for another four day stretch the following weekend. 10 days this time. I am gonna wear my boots :).

This week I have had two opportunities to reconcile broken relationships from my past. Tough conversations. And total forgiveness. I had brought myself to believe over the years that I had let go of everything in my past that was holding me down emotionally. Guilt, sadness, regret. I am so glad God gave me the opportunity to make these relationships right. They are two completely different types of situations. Both very valuable parts of my life. Thank you to both of them.

2Corinthians 5:18-19
"All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them.And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation."

Let us reconcile our differences among us. The peace is amazing. God has committed us to do it.
Be Contagious For Christ!
Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment